The last time Cindy & I visited Bully Hill was 30+ years ago. These were the days before visitors were charged for wine tastings & the scene was much more casual. What made that visit particularly memorable was the man himself, Walter S Blanked (Taylor), was pouring very generous samples that day. You’ll get the “Blanked” reference if you know the Taylor story.
Fast forward to July 2022 and the Bully Hill complex has grown exponentially. In addition to the traditional tour & tasting, they have a gift shop replete with Branded merch, in addition to wines. They also have a restaurant on site for pairing your favorite wines with a meal.
The new tasting room is big and gorgeous with a view of Keuka Lake. For $8, you can sample 5 pre-selected wines and get a free souvenir wine glass. There is also a bar next door in the gift shop, where you can make your own selection for $2 per wine. As I have said before, I’m no sommelier, but I liked the wines being sampled that day.
As fate would have it, Stephen Taylor, Walter’s son was working that day and was checking in on the wine tasting. I relayed the story about meeting his dad and the joy it brought us. I bumped into him again the following morning, walking his dog, as I was getting up and around. I expressed my appreciation for Bully Hill’s participation as a Harvest Host. He said they had only started about a month prior and that we were “pioneers.”
Our Campsite was the lower parking area of Bully hill with the same expansive view of Keuka Lake as the tasting room. There was only one other Camper there and we never saw the owners. There was an on-site ports potty which is nice to have, despite being self-contained.
In summary – this place is awesome – great people, great wine, great scenery – 4 thumbs up!
Some Local things to do
Here are some suggestions for things to do near Hammondsport:
- Visit the Finger Lakes Wine Country, where you can taste a variety of wines from local wineries and visit beautiful vineyards.
- Explore the Keuka Lake State Park, which offers hiking trails, boating, fishing, and picnicking.
- Visit the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum, which showcases the history of aviation and the life of Hammondsport native Glenn H. Curtiss.
- Shop and dine in downtown Hammondsport, where you will find a variety of unique shops, restaurants, and galleries.
- Play a round of golf at the Hammondsport Golf Course, a beautiful 9-hole course that offers stunning views of Keuka Lake.
- Visit the Hammondsport Public Library, which offers a variety of programs, events, and resources for residents and visitors.
- Attend an event at the Hammondsport Central School District Athletic Field, which hosts a variety of sports and community events throughout the year.
Overall, there are many interesting and exciting things to do near Hammondsport, NY, offering something for everyone to enjoy.