If you’re a vintage trailer enthusiast living in California, you’re in luck! California has a thriving vintage trailer community with numerous clubs and events throughout the state. In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about vintage trailer clubs in California, including their history, membership benefits, and upcoming events.
The History of Vintage Trailer Clubs in California
Vintage trailer clubs have been around for several decades, and California has been at the forefront of the movement. The first vintage trailer club in California was founded in the early 1980s, and since then, numerous clubs have sprung up all over the state. These clubs are dedicated to preserving and restoring vintage trailers, as well as providing a community for enthusiasts to connect and share their love for these unique and historical vehicles.
Benefits of Joining a Vintage Trailer Club
There are numerous benefits to joining a vintage trailer club in California. First and foremost, you’ll become part of a community of like-minded enthusiasts who share your passion for vintage trailers. You’ll have the opportunity to attend events and rallies where you can show off your trailer, meet other owners, and participate in fun activities. Additionally, many clubs offer resources and support for trailer restoration and maintenance, as well as discounts on parts and accessories.
Popular Vintage Trailer Clubs in California
There are several vintage trailer clubs in California, each with its own unique history and culture. Here are a few of the most popular clubs:
- Tin Can Tourists of Southern California The Tin Can Tourists is one of the oldest vintage trailer clubs in the country, founded in 1919. The Southern California chapter is particularly active, with regular events and rallies throughout the year. Membership is open to anyone who shares the club’s mission of promoting vintage trailers and RVs.
- Vintage Trailer Club of Northern California The Vintage Trailer Club of Northern California is another popular club with a long history. Founded in 1982, the club has over 200 members and hosts several rallies and events each year. Members enjoy access to a wide range of resources and benefits, including discounts on parts and accessories.
- California Route 66 Museum Vintage Trailer Club The California Route 66 Museum Vintage Trailer Club is a newer club, founded in 2012. The club is based in Victorville, California and has a focus on preserving vintage trailers and RVs associated with Route 66. Members enjoy access to exclusive events and resources, as well as discounts on museum admission.
Upcoming Vintage Trailer Events in California
If you’re looking to attend a vintage trailer event in California, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are a few upcoming events to put on your calendar:
- Palm Springs Vintage Trailer Show The Palm Springs Vintage Trailer Show is one of the largest vintage trailer events in the country, attracting enthusiasts from all over California and beyond. The event features a wide range of vintage trailers and RVs, as well as vendors, live music, and food. This year’s event will take place in February.
- Pismo Beach Vintage Trailer Rally The Pismo Beach Vintage Trailer Rally is another popular event that takes place in October. Hosted by the Pismo Coast Village RV Resort, the rally features vintage trailers and RVs, as well as live music, food, and a swap meet
- Tin Can Tourists Western Regional Rally The Tin Can Tourists Western Regional Rally is a multi-day event that takes place in May. The rally features vintage trailers and RVs, as well as activities such as a potluck dinner, open house tours, and a vintage fashion show.
Tips for Restoring and Maintaining Your Vintage Trailer
If you’re new to vintage trailer ownership, it’s important to understand that these vehicles require special care and maintenance. Here are a few tips for restoring and maintaining your vintage trailer:
- Do your research before you buy. Make sure you understand the specific make and model you’re interested in, as well as any common issues or maintenance requirements. This will help you make an informed purchase and avoid costly surprises down the road.
- Create a maintenance schedule. Once you’ve purchased your vintage trailer, create a maintenance schedule to keep it in top condition. This should include regular checks for leaks, tire pressure, and propane levels, as well as routine cleaning and upkeep.
- Use the right products. When it comes to restoring and maintaining your vintage trailer, it’s important to use the right products. This includes using appropriate cleaning products for different surfaces, as well as using sealants and coatings specifically designed for vintage trailers.
- Join a vintage trailer club. Finally, joining a vintage trailer club can be an invaluable resource for restoration and maintenance tips. Members can share their knowledge and experience, as well as provide recommendations for trusted mechanics and parts suppliers.
California has a rich history of vintage trailer culture, and there are numerous clubs and events throughout the state dedicated to preserving and celebrating these unique vehicles. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or a new owner, joining a vintage trailer club can provide a sense of community and support, as well as resources for restoration and maintenance. We hope this guide, with its links to clubs, rallies, shows, and other resources, has been helpful in introducing you to the world of vintage trailer clubs in California. Happy trails!