It’s hard to describe just how wonderful this place is. Our Harvest Host was Rustic Ridge Winery, but they share a “campus” with High Burl Brewery. When we checked in we were greeted by Connie. One never knows what will happen at a harvest host check-in. It’s a 50/50 shot the person that you connect with has any knowledge of the program, but in this case, she was expecting us – Yay!
The area for campers was a short distance from the Wine & Beer facilities and adjacent to a corn field with beautiful views of the valley. The breathtaking scenery was right out of a movie.
Once we got settled, we walked over to the Winery where both Cindy & I took a seat at the bar for a wine tasting. Connie told us the grapes used were from the Finger Lakes region of New York. I’m not sure if the wines are produced on-site or “imported” from the Finger Lakes. Frankly, I was more interested in the taste than the origin story and I was not disappointed. My favorite was made from grapes developed by Cornell University in conjunction with Finger Lakes Vinyard operators.
After the tasting, we decided to take a break & hang out at camp for a while. After Dinner, we took a stroll over to the brewery where we each had a flight of beer. The icing on the cake is that live music was happening that evening and we were able to carry our beer samples outside to a picnic table and soak in the music while sampling beer. The atmosphere could not have been more perfect. The live entertainment ran thru 8 PM and just as that was winding down, the rain was ramping up.
Back at the campsite, we were treated to a spectacular Rainbow and colorful sunset. We were the sole campers that evening, so it was extremely peaceful and quiet.
If you find yourself in the Cooperstown area of New York, do yourself a favor & check this out.
Some Local things to do
Here are some suggestions for things to do near Burlington Flats:
- Visit the Howe Caverns, a popular attraction that offers underground tours, boat rides, and gemstone mining.
- Explore the Leatherstocking Trail, a scenic hiking and biking trail that passes through the rolling hills of central New York.
- Visit the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame, which honors the greatest players and teams in baseball history.
- Attend a performance at the Glimmerglass Festival, a world-renowned opera festival that takes place in Cooperstown every summer.
- Play a round of golf at the Leatherstocking Golf Course, a beautiful 18-hole course that offers a challenging layout and stunning views.
- Visit the Fenimore Art Museum, which features a collection of American art and artifacts from the 18th to the 21st centuries.
- Attend an event at the Oneonta State Athletic Field, which hosts a variety of sports and community events throughout the year.
- Finger Lakes Wine Country Official Website – https://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/ This is the official website of Finger Lakes Wine Country, the region where the grapes used in Rustic Ridge Winery are sourced from. The website provides information on wineries, events, and activities in the Finger Lakes region.
- Cornell University’s Viticulture & Enology Program – https://grapesandwine.cals.cornell.edu/ This is the official webpage of Cornell University’s Viticulture & Enology Program, which conducts research and provides resources related to grape growing and winemaking in the region.
- Howe Caverns Official Website – https://howecaverns.com/ This official website provides information on tours, events, and activities available at Howe Caverns.
- National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum – https://baseballhall.org/ This is the official website of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, providing information on the exhibits, events, and educational programs offered.
- Glimmerglass Festival – https://glimmerglass.org/ This official website provides details on performances, events, and ticket information.
Overall, there are many interesting and exciting things to do near Burlington Flats, NY, offering something for everyone to enjoy.